Wednesday, January 31, 2007

This is the third version of this post as I have been chopping and changing the main theme of what I was going to type about. Obviously its going to be West Ham related but about what? Disillusionment? The Liverpool game? Or something based along the lines of the conversation I had with my friend Liam as we walked away from the ground last night?

I have gone for the conversation but just going to briefly type about the other two. Two nights ago was the first time I thought about returning my season ticket before the seasons end. This was down to the Mascherano business (which the Daily Mail had broken that day) and the fact that the club were in real dire straights. I have come to the conclusion that handing back the ticket is a bad idea and that while I can obviously agree or disagree with what happens, I have to support the club in this time of struggle. That leads onto the Liverpool game and well, what were people expecting? A draw and I would have been over the moon. Saying that a draw against Liverpool at any time of the season and in any situation (apart from needing a win to stay up) and I would have been very happy. Anyway the game was easy at times for Liverpool and they could easily pass the ball but the major worry was the selection of Roy Carroll in goal and the lack of communication between the back four. The signing today of Matthew Upson goes a long way to adding real quality to the back but now I want to talk about the main point of this post.

If West Ham are to be relegated we will go straight back up under the current situation. Call me bias but these are my reasons. If relegated we will be the strongest side in the championship in terms of players and finance. Players will leave obviously but the cream of the lower league teams would be available to us for the pure lure of money, but then again there could be the lure of playing for “a big club” but that’s not going to be true in most cases. Bench warmers in the Premiership would be willing to drop down for a short while and these reasons can be linked to the way Birmingham have been playing and buying this season. Talented loan signings and big money buys of the best of the Championship in players like McSheffrey have seen them placed in 2nd place with two games in hand. Just to say, typing this is not me saying I feel totally comfortable with doing such a thing but that’s what you get in a takeover, a big investment of cash and an elevation of your status in a financial sense, which is a big lure to some. Relegation would hurt and your rivals will taunt you but I say that it would be one year in the lower league, rather then two like last time. It’s a shame though that if it does happen that the players have let themselves and the club down.

No comments: